Well I’m here to share some of my ten personal tips on how you can achieve longer nails and stronger nails at home.
1. DO NOT bite your nails. I know this seems obvious but it might be the hardest thing to do for those who have a nail biting habit. A good trick would be to apply nail polish regularly to stop temptation.
2. Moisturize your hands/nails regularly. This part is crucial, ESPECIALLY in the winter time when your hands are most dry. Keeping your nail beds moisturized really prevents your nails from becoming brittle and break.
3. Trim your nails regularly. This may seem counterintuitive when trying to achieve longer nails, but it is imperative. Why? because just like trimming your hair, it helps move along the growth process and keeps things neat and tidy.
4. Always wash your hands after removing nail polish with remover. Make sure to wash your hands, paying special attention to your nails when using nail polish remover. This is particularly important if you are using 100% acetone as a remover. This will prevent nail bed dry-out.
5. Use nail treatments. While not imperative, I find that these do help, it’s just a matter of finding the right one. The two I use the most are OPI’s Start to Finish (Formaldehyde free) and Sally Hansen Green Tea Nail Treatment.
6. Do not peel off nail polish from your nails. Resist the urge! I know it’s tempting especially when some has already chipped off, but don’t do it boo. Just don’t. A layer of your nail will come off with the nail polish and will leave your nail damaged.
7. Use nail polish which contain hardeners. Although not necessary, it can help. Some brands like China Glaze and OPI contain these.
8. Give your nails a break. Like everything in life, moderation is key. Yes, wearing nail polish is great, but remember to let your nails breathe! Go 1 week without nail polish in between fresh/new applications and allow your nails to grow and repair.
9. Don’t get discouraged. If one nail growing method you are trying isn’t working, don’t give up, just try something else. One method cannot work for everyone so try around and see what works for you. One thing I found that works for my nails is coconut oil. Huh. Who would have thought? Yes that works for me, but it may not work for the next person, so find what works for you.
10. Drink Plenty of H2O, baby. Yes, you heard me. Drink water regularly. Not only is it good for nail growth, it’s also just plain good for you so drink up.